About Academy of Finance
The Academy of Finance (AOF) is a three-year program which prepares students for college and careers in the business or financial industry through hands-on work experiences using real-world curriculum.
An industry and student based advisory board and on-site educational team work together to shape and guide the learning experiences of Academy students. Academy students leave the program with highly marketable skills for college and the workplace. They gain a sense of self-worth as well as analytical, technical, communication, teamwork and problem solving skills.
The program is comprised of three courses:
- Financial Operations
- Accounting Applications I
- Personal Financial Planning
- A school based business (The Balloon Shop) is operated by Academy students serving as the management team and staff
- Internships obtained by the students, give students experience in employment search, job application, interviewing and real business experience while working.
- Successful completion of the Academy Program and Bright Futures requirements will qualify students to receive Florida Gold Seal Vocational Scholars Award money.
- Successful completion of the Academy Program will prepare students for entry into Business majors in college
- Successful completion of the Academy Program will qualify students to apply for articulated college credit at Edison College, Hodges University and Johnson & Wales University
National Academy Foundation
Our program is one of many academies operating under the National Academy Foundation (naf.org), which advises, develops curricula, assesses and educates Academies throughout the U.S. “Founded in 1982 by Sanford I. Weill, Chairman Emeritus of Citigroup Inc., NAF fosters partnerships between the business and education communities … The NAF network has grown to 565 academies and serves more than 70,000 students across 38 states, D.C, and the U.S. Virgin Islands each year. NAF's 96% graduation rate and network of dedicated educators, business partners, and students are testament to the effectiveness of this model.”